Thursday, January 2, 2014

An adventure begins...

     The word "adventure" has become a notoriously overused buzzword in our culture similar to the word "opportunity" or "enthusiastic". We hear these words and don't give them much thought. A job posting with the words "Career Opportunity" usually mean that they would like to scam you. Ask anyone who has read a resume within the last year and they will tell you that everyone has their fair share of "enthusiasm". The word adventure is no different.
     The word is attached to movies, video games, books, ads for cruises, ads for mini-golf, role-playing games, and even online dating. Marketing employees have become lazy and comfortable using the same language repetitively to describe a menagerie of different life experiences all of which have nothing in common with one another and most of which have nothing to do with the adjective at all. It is my hope to change, in some small way, others perceptions about a simple night out to make it an "adventure".
     We live in the height of the Inland Empire. While Business Week has declared Spokane the #1 worst place to find a job in the U.S. we still hold the world record for the most restaurants on one street. What does this tell you? We still know how to eat and have a good time. Over the years I have wined and dined in more area eateries, pubs, grilles, public houses, fine and not so fine dining. I have had ridiculous amounts of teas, coffees, Italian sodas, fruity summer drinks, cocktails, beers, wines, and other random assortments of liquid delight. I am by all means a hipster of the food scene in Spokane. I have been out countless times and continued to strive to try the best that this area could offer. I never held back in trying different menu items and still refuse to make any modifications. My enthusiasm, and to use that buzzword appropriately, for food has and will be the cornerstone of my motivation for a good time. My belief is that good food breeds good conversation and in turn good memories.
    Over this next year be prepared to get excited, to get salivating, and to get an open mind about food because you will be in for an adventure. If you live in the area I hope you trust my advice and get out there and try the places that are phenomenal. Try the places that you would have never tried. The most important thing is to have fun!

Every week I will attempt to post one of my themed date nights, or a good place to eat, or an activity in the area. NOTE: to those that worry about my finances note that I am building off previous experiences, I am in no way going out to Spencers, Anthony's, Luna, and Mizuna all in one month (though that would be really cool). So please enjoy yourself and I hope you like reading this as much as I hope to enjoy writing this. My first adventure begins tonight.

1 comment: