Tuesday, February 25, 2014

I found the center of my appetite's Universe!

Episode 4: Central Food

      I would argue to any big city foodie savant that Spokane's restaurant venue can match that of bigger places like Seattle or Portland. If I haven't made my case with my earlier posts then I present to you Central Food. Located only a few blocks away from the courthouse this is a restaurant that hides from plain sight, but shines out as one of the best places to dine. Central Food prides themselves on providing one of the most welcoming menus in Spokane by catering to almost every allergy or diet in main stream media today. Gluten free, non-dairy, vegan, or pescetarian they make sure you can get your fill without the hassle or awkwardness that can come from explaining to the wait staff why you can't have meat or what being a celiac entails. No one enjoys an evening where you have to explain your eating habits. Central Food not only understands this basic concept, but creates foods and goodies that build around ingenuity making them a premier destination for not only the food connoisseur, but the dietary conscience as well.
I was on a diet and changed my mind
     Let's talk about apps and I don't mean the ones on your phone. Most places have the same old appetizers each with the same old takes i.e. mozzarella sticks, nachos, chicken wings, and anything else that is either deep fried or quick and easy. Central Food provides appetizers like no other. Roasted Brussel Sprouts are tasty, inexpensive, and won't break your diet they are at the top of my list. If you love the taste of mushrooms then I suggest you try their Terrine which is made up of a poach egg, mushroom mousse and served with their house made garlic toast. If they have it as a special order their version of the calssic Scottish egg which takes a hard boiled egg covered in spicy sausage and deep fried it is a treat for the hearty at heart. If you look closely at the menu you will find something unusual bread as an appetizer. Many places serve bread for free and are happy to do so, but you must ask why on earth does Central Food charge for something that other restaurants give out for free? The answer is simple: it is amazing! Unlike those other places Central Food makes all their bread fresh everyday and makes a gluten free version as well. Other establishments get their bread frozen from a factory or make it weeks in advance, freeze then thaw in a microwave. Don't underestimate the power of properly made fresh bread it can be a life changer. You can also pick up a loaf for home use. Your sandwiches will never be the same.
Say hello to my future breakfast, lunch and dinner

    I have a very difficult time deciding what I am going to eat whenever I visit Central Food. As often as I decide a favorite or "usual" they change the menu or have a special going that distracts me to greater glories. However, I can honestly say that while I lack the phrase "you gotta try..." I can describe some of the delicacies that I have been exposed to me in the past. At my last visit during the coldest part of the year they had a Champagne Clam Chowder served with quohog clams large enough to satisfy any clam craze you've been meaning to fill. The creaminess and richness made me feel as though I were trespassing into a New England home for dinner. The time before that I had a type of Shepard's Pie with tender cuts of beef and fresh organic vegetables reminding me of a simpler time. You can always rely on certain dishes to be their like their Pumpkin Risotto which will remind you why the French were the ones to invent the Culinary Arts, but why Americans still strive to make food better. Their Lamb Pasta is the at the pinnacle of a summer pasta dish with lamb sausage, goat cheese, and a Greek tomato sauce. Try one of their salads with one of these delectable dishes. This is not a suggestion. If you've been meaning to try kale then they have a caesar salad that is right up your alley. If you want light and airy try their arugula with dried apricots. Each will challenge your taste-buds to try and find something better and they might be wrong.
Like my smile? O wait my camera is pointed the wrong way
    
     Central Food is one of the very few places in Spokane with a view. From inside their establishment a patron can get a wide eye view of the Spokane River or that of downtown. I like to plan for sunset, but miss out every time due to the competitive view that comes from my plate. They manage to remain a place where every inch is on the level of simplistic art. It is a distracting place, but worth it. The next time your their order a Paris In the Rain for me and think about the beauty in each and every single day. You might be pleasantly surprised about how much you can miss when you are constantly on the go.

    Every post I make it a tradition to give my thanks to those that make Spokane and the surrounding area a wonderful place to live and Central Food is definitely near the top of list. I want to thank the wait staff who are courteous beyond expectations and to the chefs that are beyond the title of cooks who make the dishes to fit almost anyone's needs. I also want to thank the innovators that spend their lives inventing new ways to torture the indecisive, such as myself, with the many tasty treats and concoctions they whip up especially the friendly bar tender who strives to make each drink special. Lastly I want to thank David Blaine who keeps the lights on inside the restaurant and in his head who strives to make good food accessible whether their diet or their wallet restricts them. Thank you all.
View from the patio
Central Food
Food: Accessible to anyone and everyone
Atmosphere: Great view, and always something to look at
Price: ~$10-$20 per person, apps range from $2-$10

1335 West Summit Pkwy, Spokane, WA 99201
(509) 315-8036
You can call the phone number for reservations or make them online at eatcentralfood.com. They are also fairly active on facebook and tumblr.

If you try Central Food because of this post please comment below.

Contributors:
spokesman.com
eatcentralfood.com
tripadvisor.com

No comments:

Post a Comment